Taking a project out to buyers is always a nerve-wracking experience. Whether it is a script, a full package, a book or a graphic novel – you just never know. There are so many factors that go into a decision it is too hard to try and guess the marketplace.
- Are the studios spending on development right now?
- Is there an appetite for this particular story (war, werewolves, vampires, horror, etc…)?
- Are you going to the right executive at the production company?
- If you get a producer onboard are they going to the right executive at the studio?
- Are those executives having a good day or a bad day? Better yet, are their assistants?
- Are you going out too wide?
- Are you going to enough companies to create ‘heat’ or ‘buzz’ around the project?